Canada Council for the Arts

The Canada Council for the Arts is Canada’s national public arts funder. They champion and invest in artistic excellence so that Canadians may enjoy and participate in a rich cultural life.


NOTE: In general, you will be unable to apply in your capacity at Western University. You will apply as an individual. Check with CCA’s Program Officer for the program you’re interested in prior to completing your application to ensure you are eligible.

Professional Artists
Many grant programs are for individual artists. The most common types of grants for individuals are:

  • creation/production
  • professional development
  • residency
  • travel

Generally you must be a professional artist and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada (as defined by Citizenship and Immigration Canada) to apply.

A professional artist is someone who:

  • has specialized training in the field (not necessarily in academic institutions),
  • is recognized as such by peers (artists working in the same artistic tradition), and
  • has a history of public presentation or publication.

Amount: Grants are for varying amounts

Deadlines: Vary depending on the program

Programs for Music: (some examples)

More information and applications for Music

More information and applications for Theatre...

More information and applications for Dance

 photo credit: Orchestra Blur via photopin (license)

About the Author

Kueneman, Karen
Staff, 2015 Fall
Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.
Subscribe to the FIMULAW blog
Receive notifications when new posts are published