Description: The The Ontario Arts Council (OAC) provides grants and services to professional, Ontario-based artists and arts organizations to support arts education, Indigenous arts, community arts, crafts, dance, Francophone arts, literature, media arts, multidisciplinary arts, music, theatre, touring, and visual arts. Through its programs and services, the OAC welcomes all forms of artistic expression and practice.
NOTE: In general, you will be unable to apply in your capacity at Western University. You will apply as an individual (or from another eligible organization) and depending on the grant it may count as income for personal income tax purposes. Check with OAC’s Program officer prior to completing your application to ensure you are eligible.
Deadlines: Varies – Please see program info.
Amount: Varies by program
1. Music Creation Projects: The program supports Ontario-based professional artists creating original musical works. There are two categories:
- Self-directed creation: Projects for composition/writing of a new piece of music or body of work (e.g. song set)
- Commissioning: Projects where the commissioner is an individual artist, music group or non-profit arts organization, choreographer or dance company, who makes a commitment to give the proposed commissioned work an Ontario première.
2. Music Organizations: Operating: The program supports the ongoing operations of not-for-profit, opera companies, orchestras, choral organizations and other music-mandated producers and presenters in Ontario
3. Music Production and Presentation Projects : This program supports the development and presentation of all genres of music by Ontario-based professional musicians, ad hoc groups/collectives and organizations.
4. Music Recording Projects: The program supports the recording of music by Ontario-based musicians including composers, songwriters and beat producers. These recordings can include demos/EPs or full-length albums.
MEDIA ARTS: OAC offers several programs for individuals working in media arts.
- Media Artists Creation Projects: The program supports individual professional Ontario-based media artists/directors working with film, video, audio, digital, new media, video and electronic games, and virtual reality as independent artist-controlled art forms in the production and post-production phases of their projects.
MULTI & INTER-ARTS: The OAC supports a range of artistic activity that falls outside of existing artistic disciplines at OAC including inter-arts explorations, unique collaborations across art forms and multi and inter-arts festivals, events and series.