2018/2019 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
As the most prestigious postdoctoral fellowship award in Canada, the Banting Fellowship provides the opportunity for faculty members to recruit, or retain, top talent as part of The University of Western Ontario research community
- Eligibility regulations are strict. Please ensure you refer to the Degree Completion dates and the emphasis on recruiting International and National scholars (only in exceptionally rare circumstances will a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship be awarded to an applicant who is staying at the same institution where they completed their PhD, PhD- equivalent or health professional degree).
- For international applicants, immigration assistance is available. Information on the work permit process for postdoctoral scholars is found on the SGPS website.
- A two-stage internal review process is in place at Western for the Banting Fellowship applications which serves to help identify the strongest applications and to select the most competitive candidates in each research area (CIHR, NSERC & SSHRC) who will receive the necessary institutional endorsement.
For this review process, we encourage the applicants to contact their program and department. For official information, regulations and procedures, be sure to visit the Banting Website. It is strongly advised to refer to the Guide to Applying for up-to-date information.
|Banting notification distributed to The University of Western Ontario community
Information session and panel discussion on de-mystifying the application and selection process of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
Different Faculty deadlines – please check with your program
Deadline for faculties and programs to provide full applications to SGPS firstname.lastname@example.org
|Sept 17||Signed institutional letter sent to applicants|
|Sept 18||Upload to the ResearchNet Application System|
|Sept 19 (8:00pm)||Banting Application Deadline|
Any general Banting inquiries (including Common CV and ResearchNet support) should be directed to Banting contacts. Any Internal Review process inquiries should be directed to Mihaela Harmos
Characteristics of a successful Banting Application:
- Has demonstrated leadership and impact on the field (considering career stage)
- Has a significant number of publications
- Brings new knowledge to the institution
- Proposed Research
- Should significantly advance the knowledge base
- Includes aspect of novelty: “game-changing”
- Is part of a larger research context (applicant, supervisor, institution)
- Demonstrates synergy with research environment
- Weighs risk vs. feasibility
- Considers wider impact: application of research, social impact
- Supervisor Statement
- Speaks to research excellence of applicant
- Speaks to excellence of proposed research
- Speaks to aspects of synergy (with supervisor’s research, research environment, institution)
- Explains added value of postdoc in research environment
- Demonstrates institutional commitment (professional development, funding, resources)
- Propels research leadership of applicant (supervisor biography, where are alumni now)