The application form for the Aid to Scholarly Journals competition will be available mid-July.
Amount: Up to $30,000 per year (base grant); Up to $5,000 per year (supplementary funding)
Faculty Research Office: 5 days prior to SSHRC deadline. (If you wish to have feedback on your application allow at least one week – contact Karen Kueneman)
Research Western: 5 days prior to SSHRC deadline
SSHRC: September 10, 2018 (Results March 2019)
Description: Aid to Scholarly Journals grants support Canadian scholarly dissemination by offering a contribution to enable journals to explore innovative activities as well as to help them to defray the costs associated with publishing scholarly articles, digital publishing and journal distribution on Canadian not-for-profit platforms.
Eligibility: Applicants must hold an eligible academic research appointment at Western. The applicant must be the editor-in-chief of the journal or, in the case of an editorial collective, one of the editors. The applicant must be a faculty member of an eligible Canadian postsecondary institution.
To be eligible for support, a journal must:
- meet the definition of a scholarly journal (see Definitions);
- offer either immediate open access upon publication or delayed open access with a 12-month maximum embargo period (see note regarding transition period);
- submit each article (see Definitions) to be published to a rigorous, independent peer review process;
- have been founded at least two years prior to the application deadline and have published, within that timeframe, a minimum of two issues per year, each having at least three peer-reviewed articles or, for electronic journals not publishing in issue format, at least six peer-reviewed articles per year over the two-year timeframe;
- publish primarily in English and/or French; and
- meet at least one of the two following criteria:
- a minimum of one third of the core editorial board is affiliated with an eligible Canadian postsecondary institution; and/or
- the journal title is owned by a Canadian not-for-profit organization.