Election to Fellowship in the RSC, Canada’s national academy, is the highest honour that can be attained by Canadian scholars, researchers, and artists. Fellows are peer-elected as the best in their field, and thus represent the pinnacle of Canadian intellectual leadership. Their exceptional intellectual achievements are evidenced by a body of publications, intellectual endeavours, or creative activities exhibiting original contributions in the arts, humanities, or sciences, as well as activities in public life.
Nominations: Nominees must fit the above description and, at the time of their election, be Canadian citizens or have had Canadian permanent resident status for at least three years.
Nominations for Fellowship must be made by either:
- A Fellow of the RSC, accompanied by two letters of co-nomination, one being from another Fellow of the RSC (this is the preferred nomination method); or
- The President of the university, accompanied by two letters of co-nomination, neither of which need be from a Fellow of the RSC.
Nomination Process: A complete nomination package includes a Nomination Form and consists of:
- An introductory letter from the Primary Nominator (one page; not an appraisal)
2. Two letters of co-nomination (one page each; not appraisals)
3. A 70-word citation written for non-specialists
4. A 1000-word detailed appraisal of achievements
5. The nominee’s CV (max. 50 pages)
7. Referee assessments with a 250-word biography of each referee respectively appended (max. three pages each, including the biography)
Deadline and Submission – Western Timelines
|September 25||Nominee or Primary Nominator notifies RDS of intent to nominate
(send your name or the name of your candidate by email to
Julaine Hall (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|October 12||Current CV and list of all potential Nominators and Referees submitted to RDS
Potential Nominators: Two RSC Fellows and one other expert
Potential Referees: List of six-ten national and international experts
|October 26||Draft of Detailed Appraisal and Citation submitted to RDS|
|November 2||Outreach to potential Referees complete.
RDS will not provide support for securing Referees beyond this date
|November 15||For Institutional Member (IM) nominations: complete dossiers including all letters submitted to RDS
RDS cannot guarantee institutional approval or signature on dossiers submitted beyond this date
|November 28||For nominations by RSC Fellows: complete dossiers submitted to RDS|
|November 30||Final Submission of complete dossiers to the Royal Society of Canada|
Contact: Julaine Hall at Research Development & Services (email@example.com) regarding this opportunity.