The Royal Society of Canada offers a variety of prestigious medals and awards recognizing outstanding achievements of Canadian researchers. Candidates are NOT required to be Fellows or College Members of the RSC. In 2020, the following awards will be offered:
In the humanities and social sciences:
- Innis-Gérin Medal (Medal) – Awarded for distinguished and sustained contributions to the literature of the social sciences including human geography and social psychology
- J.B. Tyrrell Historical Medal (Medal) – For outstanding work in the field of the history of Canada
- Lorne Pierce Medal (Medal) – Awarded for special significance and conspicuous merit in imaginative or critical literature written in either English or French (critical literature dealing with Canadian subjects has priority over critical literature of equal merit that does not deal with Canadian subjects).
- Ursula Franklin Award in Gender Studies (Diploma) – Awarded to a Canadian scholar for their contributions in the humanities and social sciences to furthering our understanding of issues concerning gender
- Yvan Allaire Medal (Medal + $5,000) – For outstanding contribution in governance (Social Sciences)
Nomination Process:Nominees must be Canadian citizens or have been Canadian residents for the past three years.
Nominations for the awards must be made by either:
- a Fellow of the RSC, plus two co-nominators; or
- the president of the university, plus two co-nominators.
A full nomination package will consist of:
- the nomination form
- the letters of nomination from the primary nominator and co-nominators
- a 70-word citation
- a 1200-word appraisal of the nominee’s work and suitability for the award
- a CV (max. 20 pages)
- three letters of reference (max. 750 words), with a biography statement for each referee.
February 1, 2020: Institutional nomination must be initiated by contacting Julaine Hall (Julaine.firstname.lastname@example.org) in RDSE
March 1, 2020: RSC nomination submission deadline
Contact: Interested nominees and nominators should contact Julaine.email@example.com