The New Frontiers in Research Fund (NFRF) International Stream aims to support international collaborations and position Canada and Canadian researchers as strategic partners at the international level. The International stream includes two mechanisms:
- joint funding calls with international agencies on topics of international relevance; and
- a dedicated fund to support participation of Canadian researchers within international teams in projects seeking funding from major global platforms.
The NFRF International Stream has recently been launched with the first competition being the 2020 Horizon Global Platform Competition. Horizon 2020 is the European Funding Program – Canadian Researchers may participate in many Horizon 2020 programs
This competition provides funding for Canadian researchers who are partners on Horizon 2020 calls that are eligible under the New Frontiers in Research in Research Fund (NFRF) program and have been awarded Horizon 2020 project funding.
Application Process: To apply for an NFRF 2020 Horizon Global Platform grant, Canadian participants on eligible Horizon 2020 calls must submit their registration form by February 27, 2020, or within two weeks of the Horizon 2020 deadline for their call, whichever is later. This is a mandatory step in the application process.
The team must then submit a complete application within one month after notification of a successful outcome of the Horizon 2020 adjudication process.
The application must include:
- a copy of the entire application submitted to Horizon 2020;
- a description of the potential outcomes of the project, including the benefits to Canada (one page);
- completed NFRF equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) and early career researchers (ECR) forms (within Convergence Portal);
- a budget; and
- a budget justification (one page).
Applicants must complete the registration form and application using the Convergence Portal. Registrations or applications that are received after the deadline or that are incomplete will be withdrawn from the competition.
Note that Western-led registrations and applications are to be submitted through Research Western in the normal manner. Internal Research Western deadline for full applications is 5 business days before external submission deadline. Research Western will then submit the applications through the Convergence Portal, before the applicable deadlines.
- Registration deadline: Two weeks after the Horizon 2020 application deadline for an eligible call to which an application you were part of, was submitted. Registration is required to be eligible to submit an application
- Application deadline: One month after the review results from a Horizon 2020 call are communicated to the project team.
- Value: Maximum of C$125,000 per year (including indirect costs) per project
- Duration: Up to 4 years
Call details can be found here
Please contact Melanie Katsivo, email@example.com or ext 82861, if you need assistance or have any questions, or you can contact the NFRF program directly at NFRF-FNFR@chairs-chaires.gc.ca.
photo credit: 123_456 150322_015 via photopin (license)