Following campus-wide consultations, Western Research will be implementing mandatory human research ethics training for all study team members, including faculty, librarians, archivists, students, postdoctoral scholars and staff, beginning on the following dates:
- All students (including undergraduate, Master’s, PhD, other) listed on new research projects submitted for review after October 1, 2020 must have completed training
- All faculty, librarians, archivists, postdoctoral scholars and staff on new research projects submitted for review after January 1, 2021 must have completed training
- All students, faculty, librarians, archivists, postdoctoral scholars and staff on existing research projects will need to confirm completion of training at the time of the submission of their Continuing Ethics Review (CER) between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021.
Training must be completed and acknowledged by the Manager, Research Compliance Programs and Education prior to starting any study-related activities.
Training Methods: Training can be completed in a variety of ways:
- Tri-Council Policy Statement 2: Course on Research Ethics (CORE tutorial)
- Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI)
- Completed at another university/institution*
To access training and information about uploading certificates, visit the Human Research Ethics workshops and seminar page.
This training requirement will take approximately three hours to complete, but can vary depending on the method of training you use.
Please do not send your certificate of training via email, this should be uploaded in OWL as per the instructions in the links above. The Principal Investigator must also maintain a copy of the certificate for all study members as spot checks may be performed.
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to Grace Kelly, Manager, Research Compliance Programs and Education, 519-661-2111 x 84692.
*Training completed at another university/institution may be considered and is at the discretion of the Manager, Research Compliance Programs and Education.
photo credit: Onasill ~ Bill Badzo – Toronto Ontario – Canada – Allan Gardens Conservatory – Toronto Tropical Garden – Orchid via photopin (license)