Description: The Ontario Arts Council (OAC) supports artists and organizations working in a variety of styles and genres of music. Through its programs and services, the OAC welcomes all forms of artistic expression and practice.
NOTE: In general, you will be unable to apply in your capacity at Western University. You will apply as an individual (or from another eligible organization) and depending on the grant it may count as income for personal income tax purposes. Check with OAC’s Program officer prior to completing your application to ensure you are eligible.
The following funding is available through the music program:
1. Music Creation Projects: The program supports Ontario-based professional artists creating original musical works. There are two categories:
- Self-directed creation: Projects for composition/writing of a new piece of music or body of work (e.g. song set)
- Commissioning: Projects where the commissioner is an individual artist, music group or non-profit arts organization, choreographer or dance company, who makes a commitment to give the proposed commissioned work an Ontario première.
Deadlines: May 7, and September 15, 2020, 1 p.m. ET
Self-directed creation: maximum $5,000
Commissioning: maximum $20,000
2. Music Organizations: Operating: The program supports the ongoing operations of not-for-profit, opera companies, orchestras, choral organizations and other music-mandated producers and presenters in Ontario
Deadlines: March 5 (all organizations, except festivals) and October 15 (festivals only), 2020, 1 p.m. ET
3. Music Production and Presentation Projects : This program supports the development and presentation of all genres of music by Ontario-based professional musicians, ad hoc groups/collectives and organizations.
Deadlines: April 16 and October 1, 2020, 1 p.m. ET
Individual professional musicians – maximum $20,000
Professional ad hoc music groups, collectives and music organizations – maximum $20,000
Semi-professional, community and choral training organizations – maximum $5,000
Semi-professional and community orchestras – maximum $20,000
4. Music Recording Projects: The program supports the recording of music by Ontario-based musicians including composers, songwriters and beat producers. These recordings can include demos/EPs or full-length albums.
Deadlines: May 28 and November 18, 2020, 1 p.m. ET
Demo/EP recordings: maximum $4,000
Full-length album: maximum $10,000