NOTE: This pre-call framework is based on estimated Royal Society of Canada timelines and previous Royal Society of Canada (RSC) Medals and Awards competitions and is therefore subject to change as new information is provided by the RSC.
The Royal Society of Canada offers a variety of prestigious medals and awards recognizing outstanding achievements of Canadian researchers. Candidates are NOT required to be Fellows or College Members of the RSC. In 2020, the following awards may offered:
In the humanities and social sciences:
- Alice Wilson Award – given yearly to three women of outstanding academic qualifications in the Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences or Science who are entering a career in scholarship or research at the postdoctoral level
- Kitty Newman Award – For outstanding contributions from an emerging scholar in the field of philosophy
- Pierre Chauveau – For a distinguished contribution to knowledge in the humanities
- Yvan Allaire Medal (Medal + $5,000) – For outstanding contribution in governance (Social Sciences)
Eligibility: Nominees must be Canadian citizens or have been Canadian residents for the past three years.
Nomination Process: Nominations for the awards must be made by either:
- a Fellow of the RSC, plus two co-nominators; or
- the president of the university, plus two co-nominators.
A full nomination package will consist of:
- the nomination form
- the letters of nomination from the primary nominator and co-nominators
- a 70-word citation
- a 1200-word appraisal of the nominee’s work and suitability for the award
- a CV (max. 20 pages)
- three letters of reference (max. 750 words), with a biography statement for each referee.
January 25, 2021: Institutional nominations must be initiated by contacting Julaine Hall (Julaine.email@example.com) in Western Research
March 1, 2021: RSC nomination submission deadline
Contact: Interested nominees and nominators should contact Julaine.firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information visit https://www.uwo.ca/research/excellence/awards/royal_society_of_canada_awards.html