The 2023 USRA program (similar to, but not to be confused with, Western’s USRI program) has expanded to include CIHR and SSHRC. (Historically, the program has included only NSERC research.) Western has been allocated 2 SSHRC USRAs and 2 CIHR USRAs.
Amount: $8680 – Tri-Agency contribution is $6,000 per award; USRA supervisors must contribute a minimum of $2,680 as a top up to the award stipend.
Duration of Award: USRA student recipients will hold the award for 16 consecutive weeks on a full-time basis. The normal duration of an award would be for one of the following periods:
o May 2, 2023 to August 19, 2023
o May 9, 2023 to August 26, 2023
Faculty Research Office: March 27 (If you wish to have feedback on your application allow at least two-three weeks – contact Karen Kueneman)
Western Research: April 3
Eligibility: to be considered, students must self-identify as Black, and:
- must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or a Protected Person under subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada)
- must be registered in a bachelor’s degree program
- must have obtained, over the previous years of study, a satisfactory cumulative average (normally at least B)
- cannot be currently registered or have been previously registered, at any time, in a graduate program in the same field of study
- cannot have completed all degree requirements
- must apply with a research-eligible supervisor in any Western Faculty.
Selection: Each faculty may submit two candidates each for the CIHR USRA and SSHRC USRA awards. Final selection will be determined centrally via a lottery process.
How to Apply, and more information: please contact Karen Kueneman or your ADR.