Mitacs is a national, not-for-profit organization that has designed and delivered research and training programs in Canada for 15 years. Working with 60 universities, thousands of companies, and both federal and provincial governments, they build partnerships that support industrial and social innovation in Canada. Their programs support your research students.
Build research partnerships while funding your grad students. Apply any time for funding that starts at $15,000. Accelerate is open to both for-profit businesses and not-for-profit (NFP) organizations, such as industry associations, charitable organizations, and economic development organizations.
Description: Through Mitacs Accelerate, graduate students and postdoctoral fellows apply their specialized expertise to business-related research challenges. Armed with the very latest tools, techniques, and innovations, the intern (a graduate student or postdoctoral fellow) brings a new perspective to the problem faced by the partner.
- Interns spend approximately half of the time on-site with the partner; the remainder is spent at the university advancing the research under the guidance of a faculty supervisor.
- Open to all disciplines and all industry sectors, projects can span a wide range of areas, including: manufacturing, technical innovation, business processes, IT, social sciences, design, and more.
Funding: Each 4-month internship project receives $15,000 in direct funding, with the partner organization and Mitacs each providing $7,500
Applications: Applications are accepted throughout the year and projects may begin at any time.
Elevate: Establish long-term research collaborations that support postdoctoral career development. This competitive two-year fellowship is valued at $55,000 per year.
Globalink: Fund your students’ research abroad and work with talented international undergrads. Globalink offers two-way mobility for senior undergrads and grad students.
The Mitacs Globalink Research Award provides funding to support senior undergraduate and graduate student research projects abroad.
- A $5,000 research award to the Canadian supervisor to support student travel and accommodation expenses, research related expenses, and student stipend.
- Open to all disciplines
- For joint research projects with academic collaborators for a minimum of 12 weeks to a maximum of 24 weeks abroad
- Partner countries: Brazil, mainland China, India, Mexico, and Vietnam
- Applications accepted any time
Step: Designed to help grad students and postdocs succeed, Step workshops teach skills such as project management, professionalism, and communication.
Mitacs Contact at Western: Zach Armstrong, PhD | Director, Business Development (London) | T: 226.378.3162 | E: email@example.com | O: Western University, Western Science Centre Room 119