The Royal Society of Canada (RSC) offers a variety of prestigious medals and awards recognizing outstanding achievements of Canadian researchers. In 2016, the following awards will be offered for researchers in the social sciences and humanities:
- Gender Studies: Award in Gender Studies – For significant contributions by a Canadian scholar furthering our understanding of gender issues.
- History: J. B. Tyrrell Historical Medal – For the furtherance of the knowledge of the history of Canada.
- Humanities & Social Sciences: Konrad Adenauer Research Award – Presented to an internationally renowned Canadian scholar in the humanities or social sciences and honouring their entire academic record. The recipient is invited to carry out a research project in Germany in cooperation with German colleagues for up to one year. The award can be up to the amount of €50,000.
- Literature: Lorne Pierce Medal – For an achievement of special significance and conspicuous merit written in English or French. Critical or imaginative literature dealing with Canadian subjects will take priority over that not dealing with Canadian subjects.
- Social Sciences: Innis-Gérin Medal – For outstanding contributions to the literature of the social sciences, including human geography and social psychology.
Nominator must be:
- a Fellow of the RSC, plus two other co-nominators; or
- the President of the university, plus two other co-nominators.
Eligibility – Nominees must be Canadian citizens or have been Canadian residents for the past three years.
A full nomination package will consist of 1) three letters of nomination (from the Primary Nominator and two co-nominators); 2) a 70 word citation; 3) a 1000 word appraisal of the nominee’s work and suitability for the award; 4) a CV, and; 5) three letters of reference. You will use the RSC official nomination form. Please ensure you read the Preparing a Nomination guide while preparing the dossier.
Deadline: March 1, 2016.
Contact Julaine Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org, ext 87970, at Research Western for more information or if you are interested in nominating someone/ being nominated. Karen Kueneman is also available to assist with the nomination package.
photo credit: il mondo è fatto a scale [stairs in lecce, salento, italy] via photopin (license)