The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) has announced the launch of Connecting for Canada’s 150th, a unique series of Connection Grants to mark Canada’s 150th anniversary in 2017. This historic anniversary is an opportunity to highlight scholarly activities that mobilize research about Canada at 150: its past, its present and its future. This initiative also provides support for connection activities that exemplify the contributions of Canadian institutions and researchers in the social sciences and humanities, either to a discipline or to global fields of study.
Amount: up to $25,000 for events, and up to $50,000 for other outreach activities
Matching Funds: SSHRC will not fund the full cost of any connection event or outreach activity. Additional support in the form of cash and/or in-kind contributions (excluding registration fees), equivalent to a minimum of 50 per cent of the amount requested from SSHRC, must come from sponsoring organizations.
Faculty Research Office: At least 1 week before the Agency Deadline (2-3 weeks earlier if you wish feedback on your application – submit to Karen Kueneman)
Research Development & Services: At least 5 days before the Agency Deadline
SSHRC: August 1, 2016; November 1, 2016; February 1, 2017.
Description: Connection Grants support workshops, colloquiums, conferences, forums, summer institutes or other events or outreach activities that facilitate:
- disciplinary and/or interdisciplinary exchanges in the humanities and social sciences;
- scholarly exchanges between those working in the social sciences and humanities and those working in other research fields;
- intersectoral exchanges between academic researchers in the humanities and social sciences and researchers and practitioners from the public, private and/or not-for-profit sectors; and/or
- international research collaboration and scholarly exchanges between researchers, students and non-academic partners from other countries.
Eligibility: Applicants must hold an eligible academic research appointment at Western.
- The maximum value for a SSHRC Connection Grant is dependent on whether it is an “event” Connection Grant only OR if it is a Connection Grant with “outreach activities”.
- “Event” Connection grants are a maximum of $25,000 over one year. ($7,000 – $25,000). Applying for $25,000 would require $12,500 in-kind and/or cash contribution.
- Connection grants with “outreach activities” are a maximum of $50,000. ($7,000- $50,000). Applying for $50,000 would require $25,000 in-kind and/or cash contribution.
- An applicant may apply for one Connection Grant per calendar year. An applicant may not apply for or hold more than one Connection Grant for the same event or outreach activity.
- Applications to this special competition are subject to the evaluation criteria and scoring scheme common to all Connection Grants. However, all applicants must demonstrate how their project addresses this historic anniversary. Applicants applying under Connecting for Canada’s 150th should consult the full description of the initiative.
More Information and link to Applications
Full Applications are to be processed through Research Western and are to be accompanied by a completed ROLA. Apply for support through the Connection Grants funding opportunity.