SSHRC’s Connection Grants support events and outreach activities geared toward short-term, targeted knowledge mobilization initiatives. These events and outreach activities represent opportunities to exchange knowledge and to engage on research issues of value to those participating.
Amount: $7,000 – $50,000 (potentially higher amounts)
Matching Funds: SSHRC will not fund the full cost of any connection event or outreach activity. Additional support in the form of cash and/or in-kind contributions (excluding registration fees), equivalent to a minimum of 50 per cent of the amount requested from SSHRC, must come from sponsoring organizations.
Faculty Research Office: 5 days prior to SSHRC deadline. (If you wish to have feedback on your application allow at least one week – contact Karen Kueneman)
Research Western: 5 days prior to SSHRC deadline
SSHRC: Nov 1 (decision by Jan 8)– Upcoming deadlines: Feb 1 (decision by Mar 31); May 1 (decision by Jun 30); Aug 1 (decision by Sep 30)
Description: Connection Grants support workshops, colloquiums, conferences, forums, summer institutes or other events or outreach activities that facilitate:
- disciplinary and/or interdisciplinary exchanges in the humanities and social sciences;
- scholarly exchanges between those working in the social sciences and humanities and those working in other research fields;
- intersectoral exchanges between academic researchers in the humanities and social sciences and researchers and practitioners from the public, private and/or not-for-profit sectors; and/or
- international research collaboration and scholarly exchanges between researchers, students and non-academic partners from other countries.
Events and outreach activities funded by a Connection Grant may often serve as a first step toward more comprehensive and longer-term projects potentially eligible for funding through other SSHRC funding opportunities.
Canada 150 Opportunities: SSHRC has announced Connecting for Canada’s 150th, a unique series of Connection Grants to mark Canada’s 150th anniversary in 2017. More details…
Eligibility: Applicants must hold an eligible academic research appointment at Western.
More Information and link to Applications: Full Applications are to be processed through Research Western and are to be accompanied by a completed ROLA.
- The maximum value for a SSHRC Connection Grant is dependent on whether it is an “event” Connection Grant only OR if it is a Connection Grant with “outreach activities”.
- “Event” Connection grants are a maximum of $25,000 over one year. ($7,000 – $25,000). Applying for $25,000 would require $12,500 in-kind and/or cash contribution.
- Connection grants with “outreach activities” are a maximum of $50,000. ($7,000- $50,000). Applying for $50,000 would require $25,000 in-kind and/or cash contribution.
- An applicant may apply for one Connection Grant per calendar year. An applicant may not apply for or hold more than one Connection Grant for the same event or outreach activity.
photo credit: Cincinnati – Spring Grove Cemetery & Arboretum “One-Eyed Tree Trunk” via photopin (license)