These awards provide support to scholars of exceptional ability who are engaged in research projects of broad significance and widespread interest. They are intended for established scholars who have demonstrated outstanding research ability and who have published the results of their research in substantial publications in their field. Fellowships are awarded annually, on a competitive basis, to support scholars doing research in any of the following fields: humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, health sciences, engineering, studies linking any of the disciplines within these fields.
The fellowship provides 2 years of release time (valued at $70,000 per year).
Application Process: Applications must be submitted by individuals, and not by their institutions (however, applicants must obtain institutional approval).
To be eligible, you must be a Canadian citizen or have permanent resident status, as defined by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
You must present a coherent project with a clearly stated objective and well-defined plan for reaching that objective. The award is not intended as a subsidy for the overall research.
A completed application will consist of the following
- A completed online application form, including:
- description of present/projected teaching load, as well as load from the past two years;
- intended period and location of fellowship tenure;
- one-page non-technical project summary;
- six-page detailed project description (plus optional one-page bibliography);
- linked Common CV;
- full career list of publications and list of five most significant research contributions;
- any co-investigators on the project; and
- four Canadian or foreign specialists who could act as referees.
- Original, signed cover letter (generated at the time of online form submission)
- A copy of proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent residency (for permanent residents: a letter from your institution confirming firm appointment)
Deadlines: Western must authorize final submissions.
May 8, 2018 – completed application packages must be submitted online for institutional approval
– ROLA proposals must be submitted
May 15, 2018 – If your application is approved by the institution, you must then submit your supporting documents by mail to the Canada Council by this date
Contact: Applicants are encouraged to consult with Julaine Hall (email@example.com) at Research Development & Services regarding the program and application process
Further information, program guidelines, etc. can be found at http://www.uwo.ca/research/excellence/awards/killam_research_fellowship.html