SSHRC’s Connection Grants support events and outreach activities geared toward short-term, targeted knowledge mobilization initiatives. These events and outreach activities represent opportunities to exchange knowledge and to engage on research issues of value to those participating.
Amount: $7,000 – $50,000 (potentially higher amounts)
Matching Funds: SSHRC will not fund the full cost of any connection event or outreach activity. Additional support in the form of cash and/or in-kind contributions (excluding registration fees), equivalent to a minimum of 50 per cent of the amount requested from SSHRC, must come from sponsoring organizations.
Faculty Research Office: 5 days prior to SSHRC deadline. (If you wish to have feedback on your application allow at least one week – contact Karen Kueneman)
Research Western: 5 days prior to SSHRC deadline
SSHRC: May 1 (decision by Jun 30) Upcoming deadlines: Aug 1 (decision by Sep 30); Nov 1 (decision by Jan 8); Feb 1 (decision by Mar 31)
Description: Connection Grants support workshops, colloquiums, conferences, forums, summer institutes or other events or outreach activities that facilitate:
- disciplinary and/or interdisciplinary exchanges in the humanities and social sciences;
- scholarly exchanges between those working in the social sciences and humanities and those working in other research fields;
- intersectoral exchanges between academic researchers in the humanities and social sciences and researchers and practitioners from the public, private and/or not-for-profit sectors; and/or
- international research collaboration and scholarly exchanges between researchers, students and non-academic partners from other countries.
Eligibility: Applicants must hold an eligible academic research appointment at Western.
- The maximum value for a SSHRC Connection Grant is dependent on whether it is an “event” Connection Grant only OR if it is a Connection Grant with “outreach activities”.
- “Event” Connection grants are a maximum of $25,000 over one year. ($7,000 – $25,000). Applying for $25,000 would require $12,500 in-kind and/or cash contribution.
- Connection grants with “outreach activities” are a maximum of $50,000. ($7,000- $50,000). Applying for $50,000 would require $25,000 in-kind and/or cash contribution.
- An applicant may apply for one Connection Grant per calendar year. An applicant may not apply for or hold more than one Connection Grant for the same event or outreach activity.