New online resources have been added to Western’s Researcher Toolbox. The new section, “Supervising Others – What You Need to Know” will help Western researchers navigate the legal and contractual responsibilities of supervising Western staff.
The Researcher Toolbox now offers information in three categories:
- Hiring/Appointing Roles to Your Research Team,
- Budgeting for Research Roles, and
- Supervising Others.
New Content – Supervising Others:
- Summary of a supervisor’s legislated and contractual obligations (eg. under Ontario’s Employment Standards Act, collective agreements, and University policies)
- Health and safety responsibilities that cannot be delegated, and a researcher’s personal liability
- Helpful tips for developing a high-performing team
You Can Still Find
- Salary and benefit costs to assist with planning and budgeting for grant applications
- Types of staff research roles (e.g. postdoctoral scholars, students, research support/technical, research professional)
- The differences between part-time, full-time, unionized and non-unionized roles
- How to hire/appoint each type of research role
- Resources for orienting new team members (including required training)
- Helpful contacts – who to reach out to for additional support and information