What is it?
SSHRC will offer applicants the choice of two streams within the Insight Grant (IG) funding opportunity. The two stream approach is intended to respond to the needs of the research community while offering a solution to the increasing monetary pressure on research funding.
• NEW Stream A (duration of 2-5 years) will be for requests ranging from $7K to $100K
• Stream B (duration of 2-5 years) will be for requests ranging from $100K – $400K
• Both streams will be adjudicated by the same committees, and will receive the same rigorous level of merit review, including the input of external assessors
• Committees will receive separate budget envelopes dedicated to each stream. NEW Stream A would have a target success rate significantly higher than Stream B
• Researchers are not currently permitted to apply to both IG and IDG in the same calendar year. However, with the introduction of this new stream, unsuccessful applicants from IDG 2017 may apply for a Stream A or Stream B IG in 2017
Why is it being offered?
The new, two-stream approach for Insight Grants responds to concerns raised by both researchers and peer reviewers: namely that there is a perceived bias encouraging larger and longer grants and that there are currently no options for established scholars seeking smaller grants to support ongoing research.
When will it be offered?
It is expected that the changes will be implemented for the 2017 IG competition.